The McPherson Pipeliners once again lost the battle of the bullpens.
Liners’ starter Tyler Kisner delivered five solid innings against the Park City Rangers Saturday at Light Capital Diamond, departing with just a 2-1 deficit.
But the Rangers battered McPherson’s beleaguered bullpen, scoring eight runs over the next three innings for a 10-6 victory.
McPherson is now 8-24 in league play, having lost 17 of 19 games. And many of them have been similar to Saturday’s loss, where the game is in the balance midway through, only for it to get away at the end. The Pipeliners are 10-25 overall.
Caleb Hartman has seen the situation play out more times than he can count as his first-year team has experienced growing pains against more veteran teams.
He was pleased, though, with the work of Kisner as the lefty started the game crafting four scoreless frames before being nicked for two runs in the fifth.
“He threw exceptionally well,” Hartman said. “You couldn’t have asked much more out of him. We didn’t have the sticks when we needed them. It is what it is.”
Park City scored three runs in the sixth, including a two-run homer by Connor Lane, followed by a blast by Jeremiah Farris, who just missed a homer in the seventh with a two-run double off the fence.
Liam Rosebeck finally was able to put out the Rangers’ fire, throwing two scoreless innings to wrap up the game, but Park City got to two other relievers for five runs total in the seventh and eighth innings. Rosebeck came in during the eighth to get the three outs, then worked a scoreless ninth.
It was another big night at the plate for McPherson’s Dominick Trevino, who stayed on his recent tear by going 3 for 4 with a double. Austin Warfel added two hits.
The Liners and Park City play again tonight, but the venues shifts south with McPherson the visitors.
The McPherson Pipeliners had just battled back from an early 5-0 deficit to tie the Valley Center Mud Daubers at 6-6 through six innings.
But in using all that energy to make the comeback, the Pipeliners had nothing left.
Valley Center scored the game’s final six runs over the last three innings to double the Liners 12-6 on Friday at Light Capital Diamond.
The loss dropped the Pipeliners to 8-23 in the Kansas Collegiate League Baseball after being 6-7 at one point in the season.
They’ll take a 10-24 overall record into tonight’s final game of a three-game homestand against the Park City Rangers. First pitch is 7:00.
The Daubers’ Ian Groves was the chief culprit as his three-run homer broke the 6-all tie in the seventh, that after he had homered earlier. For good measure, he iced the game in the eighth with a two-run double as he finished the night with six RBIs.
Valley Center right fielder Chris Herb made two spectacular catches to deny the Liners more production. He leaped above the fence in the fifth inning to rob Carson Davis of a two-run homer, then stole a potential double from Cody Carpenter in the eighth with another highlight-reel snag.
McPherson starting pitcher Harry Park had a mixed-bag night. While he dazzled with nine strikeouts, he gave up a like number of runs. However, a couple of errors again betrayed his effort as some of the early runs he allowed were unearned. Rubber-armed Ethan Wilson worked the final three innings.
The Liners did pound out 12 hits. Austin Warfel, a pitcher-turned-third baseman, led the way with three, while Andrew Black, Dominick Trevino, Troy Carrigan all added two.
The McPherson Aqua Pups competed in Lawrence this past weekend, then hosted their final meet of a three-meet series with Hutchinson and Salina Tuesday at the Water Park.
Five swimmers went to Lawrence.
“It was a busy stretch for the five swimmers that we compete at the Wave the Wheat invitational last weekend, but they handled it beyond well,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “We had some great swims and including a few new qualifying times.”
Here are the highlights in Banman’s words:
• Maya Charlesworth added the 200 breast to her District collection at 3:38.39, in what was her first time swimming the event.
• Rhys Vanderhoof improved his 100 free District time to 1:03.13.
• Adyson Wiens added her second District qualifier with a 54.29 in the 50 fly.
• Aislyn Soukup went 3-for-3 in best times
• Jordan Vanderhoof went 5-for-6 in best times, including her first-ever 200 free.
The team then had 51 swimmers take part in the final home meet Tuesday.
“There were some really nice swims across the board and it was a fun way to wrap up our regular season,” Banman said. “I thought our partnership with Salina and Hutch was a success and I'm looking forward to working with them down the road.”
• Special Congrats to our first time swim-meeters: Taytum Thompson, Taylin Thompson, Shelby Regier and Quin Liebl.
• Qualifiers and Top Finishes •
• Claire Schmidt - secured the outright 50 breast Champ time at 51.39. She also earned the Champ Bonus time in the 200 free and 50 free, and took 1st in all 3 of her events.
• Aislyn Soukup - picked up her first District time of the season with a first-place finish in the 50 breast at 48.84.
• Hayden Farley - even with a recent birthday and age up to the 13-14 group, re-added the 50 free at 33.16 and took 1st in the event. He was also 1st in the 100 free.
• Ethan Burger - added his second District qualifier with his time of 33.32 in the 50 free, and took 1st in the 100 breast.
• Matthew Powers - picked up the 200 free District cut to go along with a 1st-place finish at 2:19.74.
• William Powers - hit the Champ Bonus cut on the 100 breast at 1:21.06 and took 1st in the event. He also won the 200 IM and 400 free.
• Kierstan Trost - Dropped nearly 17 seconds in the 400 free to pick up the District time in the event at 5:42.55 and took 1st. She also took 1st in the 100 free.
• Rachel Fischer - Took 1st in the 100 breast.
*Danica Brunk - Took 1st in all 3 of her events - 50 Free, 50 Back, and 100 Free.
• Maya Charlesworth - Took 1st in the 100 breast.
• Eli Farley - Cut time and won in all 3 of his events - 50 free, 50 back and 100 free.
• Arriana Gross - Went 3-for-3 on best times and took 1st in the 200 IM.
• Clayton Hafenstine - Had a pair of 1st-place finishes in the 200 free and 100 back.
• Logan Heskett - Took 1st in both of his events - the 50 free and 50 back.
• Bree Pickerell - Took 1st in the 200 free in what was her first time swimming the event.
• Raj Shah - Had a pair of 1st places in the 50 and 100 free.
• Jordan Vanderhoof took 1st in the 200 free.
• Zoe Vontz - Took 1st in the 100 fly.
• Xander Whitteker - Took 1st in the 50 back.
• Clarea Williams - Took 1st in the 100 back.
• Haze Wuertz - Won the 50 fly.
• Other Highlights and Notable Time Drops •
• Kudos to our crazy 15 and over boys who swam the 400 free as a 400 IM - Rhys Vanderhoof, Matthew Powers and William Powers.
• Brayden Beckman - dropped 17.79 in the 50 back.
• Nathaniel Britting - In his first meet since last summer dropped time in all 3 of his events, including a 19.13 drop in the 100 breast.
• Alex Brubaker - cut 1.73 in the 50 Breast.
• Hannah Brubaker - went 3-for-3 on best/new times in her first meet since last summer.
• McKenzie Dammann - went 3-for-3 on best times, with a pair of 13 sec. cuts on 50 free and 100 free.
*Riley Gard - dropped 3.55 on 50 fly and took 2nd.
• Taylor Hafenstine - had a nice 6.79 drop in the 50 free.
• Nethmi Hewawitharana - went 3-for-3 in best/new times.
• Gracy Hubbard - swam the Long Course 100 back and 100 free for the first time.
* McKenna Obrien - dropped a whopping 14.69 in the 50 fly.
• Aurelia Potter - cut 1.5 in the 50 free to go sub-minute for the first time.
• Layla Rank - cut 2.39 in the 100 free.
• Jentry Sears - had a nearly 10-second drop in the 50 breast.
• Nahla Sechler - Had a pair of 2nd-place finishes in the 50 back and 50 breast.
• Caedan Whitteker - Went 3-for-3 in best times with a pair of 5-second cuts in the 50 free and 50 back, and just over 9 off in the 50 breast.
• Adyson Wiens - Went 3-for-3 in best times, with a nice 6.83 off in the 100 free.
• Caly Williams - Cut a massive 27.87 in her 100 free.
• Hope Williams - Went 3-for-3 on best times, featuring 1.18 off in the 50 free and a 2nd-place finish.
LINDSBORG — Six Bethany College golfers have been named NAIA Scholar-Athletes.
Aspen Bryant, who wrapped up her
Today’s the day. It’s the final day to vote for the CatchItKansas.com “Catchy” awards and many McPherson
ESPN came out with a recent story that the Kansas City Chiefs possess the best offensive
Horse Feed Prairie Hay- Round bales -- 620-755-8939 leave a message
1999 Buick Century Custom Blue 152 k miles 3.1 liter automatic, like new tires $1000 obo- Runs good -- 620-200-1116
Kirby Vac Shampooer Attachments $20 -- 620-755-2537 or 620-755-2774
V Belt in a box found on Moccasin Rd - AGCO Brand Name - DOYLE K. -- 620-241-3983
Solid Oak Roll Top Desk Nice -- 620-241-4983
Kenmore Stainless Steel BBQ Gill with 4 burners with the 5th burner - Like New condition $50 -- 620-241-4250
Wheel Chair $400 in good condition 20x15 deep Wheel to Wheel 29" Black with extra brakes, like new condition Foot rests, and cushion -- 620-242-4254
Plastic Storage container tubs with lids, different sizes -- 620-241-0112
Opera House Consignment Shop @ 217 S. Main Open Today and Saturday. On FB --
Glucose Checker found in 800 Wheeler- call to identify -- 620-334-0098
Knee Board -- 620-727-3447
Pair Combine Tires 24.5/32 or 30.5/32 Run on John Deer Combine - needs appropriate Rim -- 620-562-7591 or 620-824-6349
6- Country Stampede Tickets 2 Thurs 2 Fri 2 For Sat This week $100 per day -- 785-826-6731 call after 6 pm
KU Floor Mats $20 -- 620-241-5237
Lazy Boy- Black Leather,High Back Executive Desk Chair $125 -- 620-241-5237
ESPN came out with a recent story that the Kansas City Chiefs possess the best offensive weapons in the NFL heading into the 2018 season.
Pretty heady stuff for a team that has been a playoff dud for the last... Read More
Morton building on 5 acres just outside McPherson. This 60' x 120' structure has 14' sidewalls, 3 sets of doors to maximize use of space, full concrete floor, light panels, and 220 service. There is also an office addition that is finished and ducted for heat/air plus roughed-in for a bath, but what about a studio apartment while you build a new house?? This parcel is a county approved building site. So whether you need a shop for your farming operation, business, or building a home, this property deserves your attention.
Brand NEW Price $3,200 an acre!!! 40 acres of crop ground or potential homestead on paved road South of McPherson. County has approved this parcel for building permits, so your options are many. Possession granted after the 2017 wheat harvest unless otherwise agreed.
NEW Price and motivated Sellerr! One level living with the peace of mind of an interior storm shelter. New roof, guttering, exterior paint, storm door, dishwasher in recentyears. This 3 bedroom, 2 full bathroom is waiting for you to call it "HOME". Enjoy the fall season outside on the patio or games in theshaded fenced yard. Extra off street parking in the front and back of the property. Call today for your showing
Vacant land available in I2 (Industrial) zone close to down town. Listing agent is related to managing partner of LLC.
OPEN HOUSE, Sunday July 15 - 1:00 to 2:30 PM! Want More??? This home has it! From the 3 living areas, 4+ bedrooms, full wall of windows with 3 sets of Pella patio doors, dual staircases to the basement, 2 dining options ...you won't be disappointed. Owners have taken great pride in their home which boasts a new roof, guttering, and exterior paint so you can enjoy the expansive patio in your manicured privacy fenced back yard. I almost forgot to tell you about the great interior storage, workshop at the back of the garage, plus an exterior storage shed perfect for the hobbiest. Call today to view this great property with over 1600 square feet on each level.
TINY house on a LARGE tree shaded lot. Exterior was recently painted and has a sharp modern look. Cool color palette in the kitchen which boasts new flooring, comes fully equipped with all the appliance, and has a darling table for 2 that folds down when not in use. New double pane insulated windows have a life time warranty for peace of mind. Great opportunity to own a home while keeping the budget in check. Call Kristi at Horizon Real Estate Services, 620-241-8300, to schedule your personal showing on this house that is NOT in the flood zone.
Cool Craftsman close to Downtown! Enjoy the charm of the natural woodwork, glass front book cases, and a gracious open floor plan that flows seamlessly from the front door back to the main floor family room. Upstairs boasts 2 additional rooms surrounded by natural light, access to the floored attic, and a great view of Memorial Park. The basement is superior to most homes built in this era with tall ceilings, a large family room with egress window, bonus room, 3/4 bath, kitchenette, plus mechanical and storage rooms. Upgraded features like the brand new roof, newer insulated windows upstairs, vinyl siding, and high efficiency CH/CA units are already here. Don't miss the oversized double car garage with alley access and cozy patio ready for warmer spring days. This home is much larger than it looks from the front as you go to the YMCA or library, so make your appointment with Kristi Fowler, 620.242.8011 today to see the nearly 3,000 sq. ft. on the inside.
Don't drive by, come on in! You'll be amazed at how much living space you'll find inside. Looking for a fun backyard for summer??? We've got the above ground pool, hot tub, and playground all in a privacy fenced yard. Can't make it on Sunday, call me for your appointment 620.242.8011 because this house is anything but ORDINARY! Traditional Craftsman with its gracious covered front porch, inlaid original wood floors, and spacious country kitchen...AND THEN you find the basement rec room with kitchenette, the upper level family room that leads out to multiple decks, pool, hot tub, and covered patio all in the newer privacy fenced back yard. A brand new architectural roof, guttering and exterior paint were all completed in 2017. The upgraded feature list continues with dual CH/CA units, energy efficient windows, zoned electrical system, garage plumbed for radiant heat, and so much more. Make your appointment today to see for yourself everything that this home has to offer.but ORDINARY! Traditional Craftsman with its gracious covered front porch, inlaid original wood floors, and spacious country kitchen...AND THEN you find the basement rec room with kitchenette, the upper level family room that leads out to multiple decks, above ground pool, hot tub, and covered patio all in the newer privacy fenced back yard. A brand new architectural roof, guttering and exterior paint were all completed in 2017. The upgraded feature list continues with dual CH/CA units, energy efficient windows, zoned electrical system, garage plumbed for radiant heat, and so much more. Make your appointment today to see for yourself everything that this home has to offer.
Awesome! Original Craftsman details from the wrap around porch, foyer, gorgeous trim, solidwood pocket doors, and beautiful hardwood floors... BUT modernized: a newer basement with indulgent owners' suite, updated kitchen,energy efficient windows and brilliant sunroom. Abundant space for all in this 4 bedroom 3.5 bath home, privacy fenced yard, and agarage big enough for the whole family. Fantastic location is an easy walk to parks and schools. This is an impressive property you don'twant to miss.