WICHITA — The McPherson Aqua Pups more than held their own on Saturday in the District Swimming Championships hosted by the Wichita Swim Club.
“Despite the heat and how busy of a meet this was, we really had an awesome weekend of swimming,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “This one was unique as far as District (formerly called D2) meets go, because the Wichita Swim Club was the only team to host a District meet this season (usually a KC area team hosts one as well). So with that, the competition was substantially tougher as it featured all of the nearly 40 teams that make up Missouri Valley Swimming and roughly 640 total swimmers. I was really proud of our kiddos as they stepped right up and didn't miss a beat.”
Here are the highlights as reported by Banman:
• Rhys Vanderhoof earned his first Championship qualifying time. He picked up the cut on 50 Free at a time of 29.07 and took 4th overall. He also dropped time in his other four events - 100 Breast, 100 Fly, 100 Back, and 100 Free.
• Liberty Hampton picked up a pair of new Champ times on 50 Breast at 50.12 and she also took 1st overall in the event and then finished eighth on the 100 Back at 1:39.84.
• Danica Brunk took 5th on the 100 Free with a 2.79 cut on 100 Free to 1:12.36. She also took 9th on 50 Free and cut 0.76 on 50 Back. Then in an "it's been a while Long Course swim" she cut 21.73 on 100 Back.
• Ethan Burger made his District debut and dropped 1.03 on his qualified 100 Breast.
• Maya Charlesworth cut 1.87 on her 50 Breast to 47.41.
• Eli Farley also made his District debut and had a top finish of 8th on the 50 Free, where he went sub-40 for the first time at 39.64.
• Hayden Farley went 4-for-5 on best times, with a 6.8 cut on 100 Free to 1:21.81. He had a top finish of 9th on the 50 Breast at 46.90. He had an "it's been a while swim" on 100 Breast with a 36.91 cut, which earned him the District time in the event.
• Justus Hampton was in the Top 10 on all five of his swims, with a top finish of 6th on the 100 Breast at 1:21.19. He also cut 1.95 on 400 Free, 3.21 on 200 IM and 0.21 on the 200 Free.
• Marissa Pearcy cut .9 on 50 Free to 35.05. She had an "it's been a while swim" on 100 Breast as well, with a 16.85 drop.
• Bree Pickerell competed in her first Long Course District meet, taking on the 50 Free and 100 Back.
• Claire Schmidt cut 2.83 on her 50 Back. She also swam the 100 Breast and 100 Back for the first time in Long Course and earned the District cuts on both in the category.
• Gage Stafford made his District debut, dropping 3.47 on 100 Back.
• Silas Steinert cut time on all four of his events, picking up the District time on 200 Back with 10.52 cut and a 4th-place finish. He also took 4th on 100 Back with a 3.04 cut to 1:10.28.
• Simon Steinert swam his first-ever District meet, with a 0.41 cut on 100 Free to 1:08.59.
• Katie Stucky also swam in her first-ever District meet, cutting time in all five of her races - dropping 6.95 on 100 Breast, 1.98 on 200 Free, 3.65 on 100 Back, 2.26 on 100 Free, and 0.58 on 50 Free.
• Kierstan Trost cut 4.9 on her 200 Free and 4.38 on 100 Back to 1:28.56 and the District time.
• Roary Whorton had a 4.84 cut on 50 Breast, 6.05 on 50 Fly and in an "it's been a while Long Course" race, 38.80 on 100 Back.
• Zoey Whorton cut 1.66 on 100 Breast.
The final event of the season is scheduled for this weekend in Columbia, Mo. Aqua Pups who have qualified include William Powers, Matthew Powers, Rhys Vanderhoof, Liberty Hampton and Silas Steinert. The team also has a relay entry in the boys 15-and-over 200 freestyle, which includes Isaac Duren, Simon Steinert, Silas Steinert and William Powers.