COLUMBIA, Mo. — It was a good finish to the season for a select group of McPherson Aqua Pups as they competed this past weekend in the Long Course Swimming Championships.
“What a capper it was,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “It was great to see the kids compete on the highest level of swimming in Missouri Valley.”
Those competing were Liberty Hampton (10-and-under), Matthew Powers (13-14), Rhys Vanderhoof (13-14), William Powers (15-and-over), Silas Steinert (15-and-over), Isaac Duren (15-and-over) and Simon Steinert (15-and-over).
Here is a summary as reported by Banman:
• Liberty Hampton went 4 for 5 on best times, with top finishes of 13th on both 50 Breast and 50 Free.
• Matthew Powers made the consolation finals on 50 free and claimed 13th with a personal best 27.89. He also cut 1.22 on 100 Breast and was over 10 seconds under the Championship time for his first 200 Breast long course swim at 3:05.36.
• William Powers made consolation finals on 50 Free and went sub 26 for the first time at 25.86. He also had a great cut of 4.34 on 100 Fly and 3.26 on 100 Back.
• Rhys Vanderhoof cut 5.29 on 200 IM.
• The 15 and over relay team of Isaac Duren, William Powers, Silas Steinert, and Simon Steinert cut 2.03 off its top entry time of the season on the 200 Free, to 1:50.29. Splits: Silas - 28.4, Simon - 28.69, Isaac - 27.86, Will - 25.39.
“Summer always seems to go by way too fast, but after this meet and this season, I'm already pumped and ready for Short Course Season this fall and winter,” Banman said.