SALINA — The McPherson Aqua Pups were back at full strength this past weekend competing in Salina and they responded accordingly with a solid effort.
“It was a great weekend of swimming for us,” McPherson coach Kyle Banman said. “A huge congrats to Ava Koehn and Maddox Tuhl for competing in their first meet. Ava swam the 50 Free and 50 Back, then led off the 9-10 Girls B Medley Relay. Maddox swam the 25 Free and 25 Back, taking 7th in both events.
Here is Banman’s description of the highlights:
• Britton Becker took 8th on the 50 Free.
• Brayden Beckman cut time on both of his swims.
• Danica Brunk took 1st on her first-ever 500 Free. She also had a trio of 3rd's on 100 Free, 50 Fly, and 100 Back. She also turned 12 on Saturday, the first day of the meet.
• Ethan Burger improved his District time 1.95 seconds and took 4th in the event. He also took 2nd on the 50 Free.
• Matthew Burger took 7th on the 50 Free with a 0.61 cut.
• Rachel Fischer took 1st on the 25 back, and had a pair of 2nd's on 25 Fly and 100 IM.
• Arriana Gross took 2nd on the 200 IM.
• Nethmi Hewawitharana cut time on all 7 of her events.
• Gracy Hubbard made her short course debut, but based on the yards pool and her times from the meet in Valley Center over the summer, she cut 5.12 on her 50 Back.
• Jordyn Jester cut time on both her swims
• Zoe Jester dropped her 25 Free time by nearly 2 seconds.
• Zach LeBlanc made his short course debut, and picked up a pair of District times on 50 Free (a C-Division 1st place finish) and 100 Free.
• Bree Pickerell improved her 100 Free District time by 2.77, and took 2nd in the event. She also dropped 8.87 on her 50 Fly.
• Aurelia Potter cut a whopping 32.08 on her 50 Free.
• Matthew Powers earned (the updated) Championship times on 100 and 200 Breast, and the Champ Bonus time on 50 Free. He also took 1st on the 200 Breast, 100 Free, 200 IM, and 200 Free
• William Powers took 1st on all but 1 of his events, and that was a 2nd place on the 100 Fly. He also earned Champs on his 50 Free and 100 Back, and Champ Bonus on 200 Free.
• Claire Schmidt improved her District times on 100 Free, 100 Back, 50 Back, and 50 Breast (going sub-50 for the first time). She also picked up the District time on 50 Free with her first ever sub-40 sec. swim.
• Olivia Smolik earned her first official times on 50 Fly and 100 Back.
• Kierstan Trost improved her District times on 50 Free and 100 Free
• Rhys Vanderhoof improved his 100 Back District time, and also took 1st on the 200 IM (C-Division).
• Nathan Wells swam his first Short Course meet, and based on the Valley Center swim this summer, he dropped 21.35 on his 50 Free!
• Adyson Weins cut almost 3 on her 50 Free.
• Hazel Wuertz cut time on both 50 Free and 50 Back
• Relays •
•The Boys (13 and over) Medley relay of William Powers, Matthew Powers, Zach LeBlanc, and Ethan Burger, took 1st.
•The Girls (12 and under) Free relay team of Bree Pickerell, Nethmi Hewawitharana, Claire Schmidt, and Danica Brunk took 3rd
•The Girls (12 and under) Medley relay team of Claire Schmidt, Rachel Fischer, Hazel Wuertz, and Adyson Wiens took 3rd.